Search engine optimisation (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a website or web page in a search engine's unpaid results. This is often referred to as "organic" or "natural" search results, as opposed to paid advertisements which appear on the top of search results.
It is a natural part of building a website and you should ensure that your agency/developer has a SEO strategy in place before your project kicks off.
SEO is important because it helps search engines understand what a website or web page is about, and how it may be useful to users. By optimising a website or web page for search engines, it is more likely to be found and ranked highly in the search engine results. This can help increase the number of visitors to the website or web page, which can lead to increased brand awareness, engagement, and revenue.
What are the different types of SEO?
There are two main types of SEO: on-page SEO and off-page SEO.
On-page SEO refers to the process of optimising individual web pages in order to rank higher and earn more relevant traffic in search engines. This includes optimising the content, HTML, and other elements on the page to make it more search engine friendly.
Off-page SEO, on the other hand, refers to the process of improving a website's visibility and credibility in search engines through external means. This can include building backlinks from other websites, social media marketing, and other methods of promoting the website or web page.
What are the benefits of SEO?
There are many benefits to implementing an effective SEO strategy, including:
1. Increased visibility and traffic: By improving your website's ranking in search engine results pages, you can increase its visibility and attract more organic traffic. This can lead to more potential customers visiting your website and learning about your products or services.
2. Increased sales and revenue: As more potential customers visit your website; you may see an increase in sales and revenue. This is because SEO can help to attract qualified traffic that is more likely to convert into paying customers.
3. Improved user experience: A well-optimised website is easier to navigate and use, which can improve the user experience for visitors. This can lead to increased engagement, lower bounce rates, and more repeat visitors.
4. Competitive advantage: SEO can give your business a competitive advantage over other companies in your industry. By ranking higher in search results, you can stand out from your competitors and attract more potential customers.
5. Brand awareness: SEO can help to increase brand awareness by making your website more visible in search engine results pages. This can lead to more people becoming aware of your brand and what you have to offer.
6. Increased credibility: By implementing an effective SEO strategy, you can improve your website's credibility and trustworthiness in the eyes of search engines and users. This can help build trust and establish your brand as an authority in your industry.
What are the key components of an effective SEO strategy?
An effective SEO strategy is essential for any business that wants to be found online. Here are some key components to consider:
Keyword research: Identifying the right keywords to target in your content is crucial for attracting the right audience. Use tools like Google's Keyword Planner to find popular and relevant keywords in your industry. Alternatively, you can do your own competitor analysis and just note which sites appear for terms you search. i.e. "Web Design Kerry" leads to this site being the #1 hit for both Maps & Organic search.
On-page optimisation: Make sure your web pages are optimised for search engines by including keywords in the title, header, and body of the page. Use header tags (H1, H2, etc.) to organise the content on the page and make it easier for search engines to understand.
Content creation: Create high-quality, original content that is informative and useful to your audience. Use keywords naturally in the content to signal to search engines what the page is about. The days of shoehorning in keywords are long gone and there are several studies that show Google will actually punish sites that are engaging in these outdated practices.
Technical optimisation: Ensure that your website is technically sound by fixing any broken links, improving the website's loading speed, and making it mobile-friendly. Speed is king for SEO in 2023.
Off-page optimisation: Build backlinks from other reputable websites to improve your website's credibility and visibility in search engines. This can include guest blogging, participating in online forums, and sharing your content on social media.
Monitoring and tracking: Use tools like Google Analytics to track your website's performance and identify areas for improvement. Monitor your rankings and traffic to see how your SEO efforts are paying off.
By implementing these basic strategies and techniques, you can improve your website's SEO and increase its visibility and ranking in search engine results pages. This can lead to more organic traffic, increased sales and revenue, and a competitive advantage over other businesses in your industry.
From here, you can look at more advanced techniques as your search engine optimisation foundations will be in place.
We offer a free audit on your site so please feel free to email email@example.com or give us a call to see how Avalanche can help you improve your overall SEO reach and in turn provide a higher revenue model for your website in 2023.